22 June 2013

paths crossing (and smiling because it happened)

It feels like, over just a brief a handful of weeks, another brief season of our lives has passed. Coming back to Dallas, our paths intersected with a number of old dear friends from our graduate school days (most in Dallas, and a couple while travelling). We had a day's visit with some of them, and the blessing of a few weeks together with others of them. The end of the semester, or maybe the change of seasons, meant that it was time for these dear friends to pack up and move back to the furthest ends of the world.

It's pretty crazy, really. When we all first met here we were dreamers and students only imagining what plans God might have for us and where on earth those plans might unfold. Now we were able to spend some short but sweet times together again, sharing stories of God's goodness in our new homes in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Pacific...literally across the globe!

While I have to admit I've had a lump come to my throat more than once as I have helped do the final house-cleanings, receive the half-used bottles of ketchup from the fridges being cleaned out, and waved last goodbyes to the cars driving away...I am really glad God worked it out for us to get to see some of these great friends again here.

It may be oft-quoted, but it has come to my mind more than once over the past week or so of goodbyes...

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Or as John said to me as he was missing one of his friends who just left Dallas, "Mama, it's sad to say goodbye to my friends, but the happy part is that someday I can say hello to them again." Yes, and in the meantime, we carry them in our hearts.





  





And even while saying goodbye to many friends, I'm so thankful I have some more time with others...


And even, the sweetness of making new friends!


As we travel so many places and have fellowship with believing friends (old and new), I come to understand more and more of the love Paul had for the church! Christian fellowship is truly an amazing gift.

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace..." (Philippians 1:3-7)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Ruth, dear friend! I know exactly what you are talking about! Saying goodbye is one of the hardest things, and the closer you are to the person the harder it is. It's easy to take a relationship for granted when the person is around all the time. Then when they leave suddenly it feels like an uncomfortable gap. God is teaching me to substitute gratefulness for sadness (kind of like what you were talking about with smiling instead of crying). I think there will naturally be a grieving period, but in those times really focusing on thanking the Lord for that person and the relationship rather than focusing on how sad you are or how much you are going to miss them. In everything give thanks!

    Love,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys have changed even since you were here. I am looking very forward to seeing you all again, the Lord willing!! It was great to see these pictures. And I feel sad about goodbyes too. But I always look ahead as John said to seeing them again. And with our Christian family, someday with no more goodbyes!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, love - hope it's a great trip so far! Miss you guys here!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.